Embroidered patch reading The Mill Race Explorers Club, Eugene, Oregon, established 2026, showing a water wheel, a canoe and a heron.

Chartered 20 August 2026 · Eugene, Oregon

Two members. One channel, dug in 1851. Ninety four degrees, no shade, and about four inches of water.

Mill Race Explorers Club

Founding Dispatch No. 1

There is a river running through Eugene that almost nobody looks at.

It was dug by hand in 1851, it powered the town for fifty years, ten thousand people once lined it to watch canoes go by at night, and today most of it is a warm green trickle behind a fence.

The Mill Race is not a creek. It is a piece of infrastructure with a heartbeat, an artificial channel cut between two sloughs so that Eugene could saw lumber and grind flour. Everything the city became for its first half century happened on its banks: the sawmill, the flour mill, the tannery, the woolen mill, the furniture works. Then the water was taken away, quietly, in pieces, over about thirty years.

On 20 August 2026 two people walked the whole thing, from the backyard reach in the west up to the headworks on the Willamette, against the current, in full sun. This is what we found and what we think should happen next.

Channel completed
1851
Historic flow
250CU FT/SEC
Flow after 1945
25CU FT/SEC
Canoe Fete years
1915 to 1971
Acres of channel
9
Founding walk
1HR 41 MIN
Temperature
94°F
Charter members
2

Plate I · The Route

Eight reaches, west to east

Water enters at the headworks on the right and runs left. Tap any marker to read the reach.

WILLAMETTE RIVER FLOW SKINNER BUTTE DOWNTOWN FRANKLIN BLVD SOUTHERN PACIFIC MAIN LINE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON THE MILL RACE DIVERSION 1 HEADWORKS 2 PUMP HOUSE 3 NATURAL AREA 4 MILLRACE STUDIOS 5 THE CULVERT 6 GREEK ROW 7 BACKYARD REACH 8 THE SLOUGH N ROUGHLY ONE MILE
1

The Headworks

Concrete, graffiti, and a dark mouth in the bank. This is where the Mill Race begins and where every argument about its future has to start, because nothing downstream matters if the water does not come in here.

END OF THE FOUNDING WALK · 15:41

Sketched from one long walk and a lot of squinting at aerial photographs. Not to scale, not for navigation, and the Willamette is doing whatever it wants on the right hand side.

Plate II · 175 Years

Dug by hand, drowned in silt

Eugene built a river, used it hard for fifty years, threw a party on it for another fifty, then filled part of it in and forgot to keep the pump running.

1851
Hillyard Shaw finishes the ditch. An early settler looks at two disconnected sloughs and sees a mill race. Roughly five blocks of hand dug channel, Ferry Street to Kincaid Street, links them into a working waterway.
1852
The sawmill opens. A flour mill follows by 1856. Eugene now has industry, and the industry has an address.
1871
The railroad arrives. The Oregon and California line reaches town and sets off a building boom. Furniture makers, a tannery and a woolen mill all crowd onto the lower race.
1877
Peak water. For the next twenty years the Mill Race is the industrial heart of Eugene, valued for exactly one thing: the power in the current.
1884
The first skaters. The race freezes hard enough to hold the whole town. Recreation arrives on the water about thirty years after work did.
1890
McClanahan opens the boathouse. Canoes, picnics, and what the university would later call the romantic era. That same decade a flood tears up the intake channel.
1915
The first Canoe Fete. A night parade of decorated canoes, later full floats, on the water behind campus. It becomes the biggest thing Eugene does all year. In 1935 Bing Crosby puts up prize money for the winning float.
1928
The last waterwheel stops. A severe flood ends the industrial era for good. The mills that survive convert to electricity and stop caring where the water goes.
1945
Flow collapses. After the flooding of the mid forties the channel drops from about 250 cubic feet per second to about 25. Ninety percent of the river is gone and nobody puts it back.
1947
The city buys the Mill Race. Public ownership, which should have been the moment it was saved.
1949
The promise. A roadway is built over the lower race. As a condition, the city agrees to lay large pipes under the fill and to keep pumping Willamette water in so the channel stays cold, clean and boatable. It keeps that promise for a few years, then stops.
1971
The last Canoe Fete. Cancelled for lack of money and lack of interest. Fifty six years of the best night in Eugene, ended by a budget line.
2018
Nine acres get a second look. Construction of the university science campus brings the first serious restoration in seventy years: bank stabilization, native planting, and a genuine pump capacity study. Blackberry and ivy had taken most of it.
2026
Two people walk the whole thing. 20 August, 94 degrees, no shade. See the field log below.

Plate III · The Charter

Put the water back

The Mill Race is not broken. It is unplugged. Every single thing wrong with it downstream follows from one decision to stop running the pump, and that decision can be reversed by people who show up.

Article I

Run the pump

Everything else is cosmetic. The city promised in 1949 to keep lifting Willamette water into this channel and it stopped. Restore real flow and the Mill Race stops being a warm green pond and starts being cold moving water again. Silt moves. Algae loses. Fish have somewhere to be.

Article II

Take the trash out, reach by reach

Eight reaches, eight adopting crews, four cleanups a year. Everything weighed and logged, so that in five years there is a number instead of an impression. Bring waders, bring a grabber, bring gloves that go to the elbow.

Article III

Cut the blackberry, hold the bank

Himalayan blackberry and English ivy have eaten the banks, which is why the banks are falling into the channel. Cut them back and replant with willow, red osier dogwood, sedge and Oregon ash. Roots do the work that riprap only pretends to.

Article IV

Put boats back on the water

The Canoe Fete ran for fifty six years and drew the entire town. Nothing about the laws of physics ended it. Get the depth back, clear the snags, and hold a night parade on the water again before the two hundredth anniversary.

Article V

Open the whole bank

Right now the Mill Race disappears behind fences, lawns, decks and parking for most of its length. A continuous public path from the headworks to the slough turns a hidden ditch into the thing people show visitors.

Article VI

The people on the bank are neighbors, not litter

Plenty of people sleep along this water because there is nowhere else to be. Sweeping them along moves the mess and solves nothing. The Club supports cleanup paired with real places to go, and will not participate in anything that treats a person and a pile of garbage as the same problem.

Plate IV · Field Log

The founding walk

20 August 2026. Departed 14:06, finished 15:47. Fifty two entries from the first walk of the Mill Race Explorers Club. Press play and it runs itself.

ENTRY 01 / 3014:06

Tap the photograph for full screen. Arrow keys step, Esc exits.

Photographs by the charter members